Symmetry and Scale


    Greetings again! I find it amazing just how much I can apply the reading to my current works. Let's start with symmetry shall we?

    In my first blog I brought up the fact that I was working on a cosplay of a favorite video game character of mine, Pharah from Overwatch. This includes the use of cutting and gluing foam to create a realistic yet lightweight form of armor. Here we have the template I'm using to create the armor:

    As you can see, the template doesn't seem to show the entire body and that is because of the aspect of the symmetry in the character design. The prints that I use to make the left leg, I can flip around and use it as the right leg. That's also what makes this design simple in a way that I don't get too confused with the crafting process. The same goes for the parts such as the torso and the helmet where I get prints for half of the design and mirror them to create the other half. Here is a close up of the torso where you can see the symmetrical aspects of the design:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF3Obj2gem_/
    One thing you may notice in the full body diagram is that it shows both lower halves of the arms. That is because that is the ONLY aspect to the character that is asymmetrical! With this I think of how "
Asymmetrical designs are generally more active than symmetrical ones, and designers achieve balance by placing contrasting elements in counterpoint to each other" because it makes you notice that her left arm has a rocket on it and her right arm doesn't. This is important to the character design as well because it relates to her gameplay in Overwatch (it's one of her unique weapons).

    Now let's discuss scale. Here is another sketch from my story:


    I like the quote; "Contrasts in scale can imply motion or depth as well as express differences in importance" because this image shows depth using the hills and clouds in the background but especially the large flag in the foreground. This also offers the idea that the flag is focus of the image, but is it really? If you look closely you'll see a little feather floating on the left. The question is... is it important? It may not seem like it because it's farther away, but who knows?

Comments

Popular Posts