Layers in Music

    I love how this textbook discusses sheet music as a form of visual art. Everyone looks at music and things of it as simply auditory art. Something you listen to in order to understand it, yet this textbook talks about "using simultaneous tracks to create composite layers of image and sound"(140) both visually and auditorily. As a musician and composer/arranger, I had a lot of fun with this theme of layers.

    So I wrote a duet for violin and viola and some of the music looks like this:


Here is a link to the audio with visual playback on Musescore:

https://streamable.com/63011h

    Now this piece only has two layers of two instruments to it, but the voices are quite similar and when you hear them together, you end up hearing some interesting ways they work together. Since I have only been working on this for a week, it's not completely polished (no articulations, etc.), but I tried to add some dynamics in there to spice it up a bit.

    If you aren't that interested in music that sounds like this, I did write a short bit of samba that you might enjoy. It includes more layers of more unique voices, from percussion, to brass, to guitar...:

https://streamable.com/j8j5il



Comments

  1. One of my favorite parts of this course has been seeing everyone's unique expressions of each week's theme. I love that you used music sheet to talk about layers especially since it's mention in our book! I don't think we look closely enough at our world to see all the layers we have around us everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting outlook! I completely agree with the fact that we don’t notice layers within our own world enough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts