The Beauty of Lines and the Invisible Point

    As I continued drawing out my story (the one discussed on my previous post), I realized how much I relied on the use of lines. I'm not exactly the greatest artist, so my visual artwork tends to be mainly sketches which is, roughly, lots of lines. I wanted to use this newer sketch as my example because there's so much I noticed now that I hadn't before.



    On the topic of points, lines, and planes, the textbook seems to discuss lines the least which I found quite interesting. If I would add anything to say, I'd talk about how lines can be used to portray motion (shown in the image above). Now of course the sketch isn't complete, however, I made sure to draw the lines surrounding the character as soon as possible so I could map out the action in the picture. Soon the lines will be filled in more, adding thickness and possibly more lines as well. What struck me in comparing the textbook to this image was when I read "A line is the connection between two points, or it is the path of a moving point." That's when I realized that there is an invisible point in this picture, where all the lines seem to be angled towards. That also goes with the statement "the point is a period—the definitive end of a line".

Here is a link to my instagram artwork profile:
https://www.instagram.com/pookieooky/?hl=en

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you that lines can be used to portray motion. As you brought this up, I realized that many comics and cartoons use this type of technique to depict the path of a moving object and that is extremely creative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts